February 21, 2014

Why is water important? (FactFriday #7)

I have been seeing people lately stress more the importance of drinking water. I for one know that I don't drink half as much as I should. The other day I got a zit(gross, I know) and I realized that I haven't had that much water. That got me thinking....why is water so important.



The only thing I knew is that you can survive without food for 10 days but you would die without water in just 2 days. I don't know how accurate these "facts" are, my mom told me this a long, long time ago. Anyway I went on trusty Google and started looking for reasons why water is important for us, other than surviving. Here is what I found:

  • Your brain is your biggest liquid asset. It is composed of more than 85% water. If you are dehydrated, your thinking ability drops dramatically, as does the performance of your whole body.
  • The human body is 70% water, blood is 85%  water, muscles are 75% water, and bone is 25% water. Water is one of the main structures of the body. 
  • Your brain is 1/50 of your total body weight, but it receives 20% of the blood circulation, so 1/5 of your body’s water requirements come from your brain. 


  • Water balances and regulates almost every other system in the body — temperature regulation, digestion, and waste excretion. You cannot eliminate toxins from your body with insufficient water.
  • Most headaches and feelings of fatigue are caused by dehydration. That is why it is super important to drink lots of water.
  • You lose about 10 cups of fluid each day in sweat, urine, and bowel movements. Even the air you exhale contains vital water vapor.
  • If you wait until you are thirsty to drink, you are already dehydrated. Unlike hunger, thirst is a bad sign.
  • Drinks that contain caffeine are diuretics, which means they lessen the body’s ability to absorb and retain water. 


  • Combined with a healthy lifestyle, drinking water increases weight loss.




No comments:

Post a Comment